M*CARBO Brotherhood

All about finishes show off those paint,cerakote,dips and other finishes 🖌️

Im wanting to see what others are doing to make there guns theres. Show off those custom finishes. Ill be dipping the new england 12ga i got last week today and will post pics once done its gonna be wildest one ive done yet. Heres before pic.

9 Likes

Excellent thread. I’m all ears on this one and want to learn from you experts!:grinning::boom:

Looking for ideas when I get me cannon next week. :boom::sunglasses:

I’m thinking of a hammered copper finish…or just oiling at first. So many choices! :face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

Allright heres the new england dipped and ill be able clear coat tomorrow and reassemble monday. From across the room it looks like a black gun but up close you see the piggly wiggly all over it. Hope everyone likes. And im planning on using her to bring home the bacon.

11 Likes

I have a refinishing project going on at this time.
1957 Remington 721 in .270 Rem.

I am using Citristrip to remove the stain. I applied yesterday, waited 45 minutes.

Then scraped off with credit card. Really didn’t see much difference.
Applied another coat of Citistrip, wrapped in Saran wrap went to bed. This morning scraped off. Again, not much of a change. Got a soft bristled stainless steel brush and softly scrubbed. Got some results
At this point I reapplied more stripper and am waiting.
Any input ?

8 Likes

I havent used the citristrip i allways hand scrape the wood stocks it does a good job of removing finish without damage to the wood then a light sanding with 400 or 500 grit sandpaper wipe it down and use a tack cloth then ready for new finish. Im sure there is alot of people here with more suggestions and probably some with stripper knowledge. And no guys not that kind of stripper knowledge.

5 Likes

I had to post a pic of piggly wiggly in the sun while i clear coated

11 Likes

@HandyDave
That Piggly Wiggly is quite unique!
Way Cool✌️
Stripped…
Sanded…
Got the first coat of stain on.
All’s good!

13 Likes

I had a my Seekins ceracoted a lil’ while ago. It’s still holding up nice.

17 Likes

That looks really nice

8 Likes

@4QBarry that camo pattern is legit. Very nice looking rifle.

9 Likes

Natural walnut with a boiled linseed oil finish.

15 Likes

All done and back together :v:
I learned a lot about refinishing a gun stock.
Never done anything like this before.
Best way to learn is to do some research, get a plan, tools, supplies and jump on in (IMO). Working with wood is not my forte. Oh I’ve frame a house, built some additions and made a redwood deck. If I can’t weld it or cut it with a torch I’m out of my Element.
I had a good time, enjoyed the work and am looking forward to the next stock to to work on.
I have a Winchester Model 67a that is next.
Might just start that tomorrow morning :v:
Plan is to polish this old .22 up and give it to my Grandson Maddox. Gets me all Choked-up thinking about teaching Maddox to shoot that Winchester. I inherited it from my mom when she pasted 30 years ago.
Thanks for all the help

10 Likes

Turned out great brother. Thats the way i learn everything is to dive in and do it with some trail and error at times but all the errors are dang sure learning lessons. I have a winchester 67a that i inherited from my great grandpa. It was one of first guns i shot and it is still my favorite 22 i own. And has took so many squirrels and rabbits over the years i could feel 3 freezers.

5 Likes

@HandyDave
I got some work ahead of me on this one.
Need to fill this up.

8 Likes

I would use some kind of stainable sandable glue instead of a plain wood putty cause the putty has a tendency to dry and shrink then chip off. A good trick ive used in past is mix some saw dust from same type of wood with a little tightbond wood glue makes a great filler for small stuff like that.

8 Likes

@HandyDave
Thanks Dave for all your help✌️
Awesome plan. After I strip her I will sand and save the saw dust. Don’t need much. Will start doing research on a glue.

5 Likes

You did a beautiful job.

6 Likes

Just refinished my new to me Harrington and Richardson 32 long top break it was in rough shape most the nickle was gone so i sanded it all down and polished it and blued everything instead of goin back with nickle plating. But for a custom touch and to make her my own i did re nickle plate the cylinder only. She is a fun shooter.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Finally gonna try my hand at Cerakoting.
Ordered a starter kit a couple days ago.
It’s here already. Just trying to get set up.

Previously I tried Brownell’s GunKote.
Results were terrible on both attempts.
It’s rattle can and sprays on too heavy.

Once I get going I’ll post some pictures.
But only if the results are satisfactory.

10 Likes