M*CARBO Brotherhood

Accomplishment I did it on my own

New to the brotherhood. My story. 3 years ago at 37 years old. I had a stroke and 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s. All from to many traumatic brain injury. It’s all good, I refuse to feel sorry for myself, I enjoyed every concussion I ever had. Anyway I was down because I struggled to shoot. Shook to much. A friend of mine got me to try his Hi Point 4095. The gun is heavy and that’s awesome for me. Heavy stops the shakes. I even have weighted fork and spoon lol. I bought one and since it’s about all I shoot I’ve literally put over a thousand rounds through it with maybe one jam. Hated the trigger. Today I got my trigger spring, recoil spring, and guide rod in. Was gonna pay someone to install it but having a “good Parkinson’s day” I tried it and was able to do it myself. It may seem silly for a 40 yr old to want to shout this to the world but it makes me proud. Don’t know if it feeds better because I didn’t have issues b4. Look at the pin I don’t know how I didn’t. It does charge smoother and that trigger is very much better.

29 Likes

@pphickey Welcome to the Brotherhood. Feel free to hit up this thread and introduce yourself to the rest of the crew.

Glad to hear you’re finding a way to enjoy shooting, something about the singular focus required for good target shooting that has a cleansing effect on the brain and body…at least for me it does. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

I call it group therapy

14 Likes

@pphickey I do as well. as long as i keep the group tha size of a silver dollar, im a happy camper. WELCOME to the brotherhood Paul

12 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood!

8 Likes

@pphickey Welcome to the Brotherhood.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Brotherhood !

9 Likes

Look around at the cars in the parking lot at the range. You might be surprised how many handicap tags you see. Even if your scores aren’t the best, if you hit the target at all is great, and hearing the BANG and feeling that iron jump in your hand is worth it all by itself. Rock on, brother.

12 Likes

@pphickey Welcome…enjoy the crew and info…and fun. :grinning:

11 Likes

He’ll yeah man,not silly at all,not in the least! When I became disabled and my body just wouldn’t allow me to do the things I used to be able to do anymore,shooting is one I CAN still do,and I find it to be excellent stress relief as well! Unless your weapons malfunctioning or your having a really off day or you just dumped a box of ammo in the mud…but my hats off to you sir if you can overcome your condition to do that you earned bragging rights as far as I’m concerned! :+1:t4: :metal:t4:

11 Likes

@pphickey Welcome to the Brotherhood Paul.

I agree with Scott @Lurch. Not to mention there are many mods/upgrades with a degree of difficulty that, even without the difficulty of your condition, earns the right to brag upon success. :+1: :+1:

11 Likes

I’ve got a couple ticklish frame mods on my Glock I’ve dragging my feet about doing,(thers just no getting around the fact it dont fit my hand quite right so the trigger guard has to be be scalloped and the back strap hump de-humped)but I feal more confident about tackling it after reading your post-and I really don’t have any excuse NOT to now…lol :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

There are a lot more disabled in some way or another then you know in the Brotherhood ! Just adapt & overcome is a great saying to follow. Some days are better than others, be thankful we have heart beats. I know I am !

10 Likes

Welcome to the Brother Hood.

9 Likes

@pphickey Welcome aboard. “Group therapy” priceless! Job well done.

9 Likes

@pphickey Welcome to Hood’ "Outstanding on the Rest’’

10 Likes

@pphickey welcome to the forum paul your one of the true hero’s and have many years of happy shootin ahead of you

9 Likes

I’ve observed that holding large bore/magnums too close to one’s face can cause concussions…i think…pretty sure! DAMMITT what was bloody question again?!? :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @pphickey Paul! Congrats on the install!

9 Likes

FWIW: I RO at a local range on the weekends. Had a “Young” lady in today that’s lost the ability to grip with her right hand due to thumb damage/arthritis. She is right hand and eye dominate but is trying to shoot left handed. She was extremely frustrated not being able to hit things she could easily do before.

Not exactly the same level of debilitation you went through but watching her develop the confidence as things SLOWLY come together is inspiring to my trivial daily issues.

You mentioned the high point is working for you and congratulations on finding something that fits your needs. Another to try if you can get your hands on it would be a CZ EVO. Similar weight, almost the same length and 9mm with added stock to pistol.

8 Likes