M*CARBO Brotherhood

About To Buy A New Gun Safe

in this day and age, im surprised that there’s not a warning already on em…

1 Like

@Goblin The concern about lawsuits has led to safer products but at the same time has caused some pretty ridiculous warnings. For example:

Ladders are plastered with so many warnings you can barely see the rungs.

Some Dremel Tools warn that they should not be used for dental procedures (Duh!).

Nytol Sleep Tablets warn that they may cause drowsiness (Duh!).

Gas caps for some Jet Skis and ATVs warn never to use a match or open flame to check fuel level (Duh!).

Blow torch and propane bottles warn that the contents are flammable (Duh!).

Vehicle Sun Shields warn not to drive with them in place (Duh!).

Razor Scooters warn that they move when used (Duh!).

And some of the best…

A Superman costume warns it does not give the wearer superhuman powers or the ability to fly (Duh!).

Rowenta irons warn that clothes should not be ironed on the body (Duh!).

The Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet brush warns it should not be used for personal hygiene (Yuck!).

5 Likes

@JoeFridaySays I wish I would of known about that whole Superman Costume no super powers deal before this past Halloween…still recovering. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

thats as bad as urinal cakes that actually say, “do not eat”
probably now on tide pods as well…

3 Likes

@GOBLIN The movie Roadhouse…“don’t eat the big white mint”. And that warning is on Tidepods, also made containers harder to open because kids were putting them in their mouth…yuk!

2 Likes

I was thinkin about the teens that were eatin em on purpose…on the challenge theme… for little un’s i can see it, but making the lids harder. most of em that small cant read yet…

1 Like

I agree. The lower priced safes are easty too cut open from the side so I put my 600 lb. safe between the heaviest dresser in my room and the wall on the other side than I bolted the safe too the floor. If they want my guns they will have too work hard for them.

6 Likes

Maybe if we removed these warnings we could get back to natural selection. Weed out some of these dumb a$$es running around in the world today.

5 Likes

@Texprep My initial instinct is to agree with you, but as someone who has needed glasses since age 10 and would otherwise never have seen the sabre tooth coming, I am somewhat reluctant to engage in survival of the fittest arguments. Having insulin dependent relatives and others who are alive only because of blood pressure and cardiac medicines also gives me pause. I therefore reluctantly accept the need for the warnings. Besides, my experience shows that the truly foolish ones ignore them anyway.

I believe it was Geoffrey Cox who said “You cannot make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.” He nailed it. :grinning:

4 Likes

Agreed. But to warn someone to not eat Tide Pods or put caution hot liquid on top of the cup of “Hot Coffee” one just ordered? Soon we’ll be seeing signs at community pools that say “Don’t attempt breathing while under water”. When is enough enough?

5 Likes

There is good empirical evidence that over warning is also bad because we become immune to them and they lose their effectiveness. So people ignore that safety lockout warning the one time it really mattered, or fail to shut off the engine before doing xyz, etc.

By the way, McDonald’s coffee used to be unusually HOT - like Lava hot (180 to 190 degrees compared to 135-140 for your home coffee maker) - for purely business reasons and arguably did need a warning for anyone who was not a regular drinker. At that temperature it will cause third degree full thickness burns in about 3 to 5 seconds if spilled and McDonalds had at least 700 reports of burn injuries at the time of the famous “Hot Coffee” case and had known of the risk for more than 10 years. It is debated whether they have lowered the temperature now.

I agree though that it doesn’t need to be labeled with a warning. It is obviously hot either way.

I think probably the most frightening warning of all would be one in braille that said “Don’t Touch.”

4 Likes

Now that’s a good one.

3 Likes

Need to engrave “Don’t look down barrel of gun” on barrel. Who’s responsible? Gun manufacturer or ammo manufacturer? Can’t be the shooter, he just saw his target get destroyed and knew the destructive power of the firearm.:innocent:

3 Likes

@Texprep Ouch! Can’t fix Stupid.

3 Likes

Back on topic. I have 3 safes. A Winchester, A Cannon, and one made by Texas Safe Company. Most safes serve 3 purposes. Buy some time in a fire, keeping kids out, and keeping honest people honest. I could be in just about any safe in about 5 minutes with an angle grinder. I have only seen one safe that couldn’t be easily broken into. While in the Coast Guard we were evacuating people from a flooded neighborhood. Went to evacuate a man in an area that was starting to flood. The first day he wouldn’t leave. Him and a crew of helpers were building a sand bag dike around his home complete with pumps to pump out any water that seeped in. The next day we went back because he had a mild heart attack while sand bagging around his house. That man we evacuated had a vault room. Reinforced concrete walls, and a bank style vault door. A few months later we (our boat crew that evacuated him) were invited to his home for dinner as a “Thank You” for saving him. He took us into his “safe” to show why he didn’t want to leave. He had 100’s of weapons, some rare collector stuff over 100 years old. That man’s house never did flood, but sand bagging it to protect his collection damn near killed him.

6 Likes

whats the weight on the safe your looking at.see it 500 lb max. whats the layout going to your stairs , how wide is the door, and how man young large friends you have?

5 Likes

This is not a foolproof method but I’ve ordered the Costco safe in the past and they are curbside delivery when the nice gentleman came to my door I asked him if he could help me and together he and I got it into the house up one or two steps down one or two steps and I gave him some cash on the side if you have some kind of ramp or such set up and then whoever comes to deliver it if you pay them some cash on the side perhaps they would be willing to help you or get some of your buddies to help

5 Likes

You may look into renting a stair climbing dolly. Friend of mine just moved a few safes down from his second story. Claims it worked like a charm.

4 Likes