M*CARBO Brotherhood

About the PC Carbine category

(Replace this first paragraph with a brief description of your new category. This guidance will appear in the category selection area, so try to keep it below 200 characters.)

Use the following paragraphs for a longer description, or to establish category guidelines or rules:

• Why should people use this category? What is it for?

• How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?

• What should topics in this category generally contain?

• Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

6 Likes

Ruger PC Carbine or Pistol Caliber Carbine?

2 Likes

I was trying to decide between the Ruger, Freedom Ordnance and CZ Scorpion PCC. I was leaning toward the Ruger with the new pistol grip stock and then found a CZ at a good price. With the CZ only really needing a trigger job and that was under $15 the deal was sealed. Picked it up last week!

3 Likes

My knowledge and background comes from hunting. As such, my personal experience with PCC’s in particular being limited to the S2K.
My observations about the PCC however, suggest that it does fit into a unique catagory of it’s own seperate from others, for at least three reasons I can think of.

1. Its uses as an interactive and complimentary companion to a sidearm.

2. It’s place and use in competition shooting, home and personal defence, as a backpack/behind the seat/bugout weapon or simply as an inexpensive recreational plinker suitable for every family member.

3. The pistol round, being originally designed for a hand gun, has different characteristics and performance in a carbine due to the longer barrel and has the potiental for further development and improvement in that capacity.

5 Likes

I got the FX-9 last month and am very pleased with it. Finally got a break I the weather and took it to the range last Thursday. Shooting was free-standing and shoulder brace at 7 yards, 15 yards & 25 yards. I have a Vortex Crossfire Red Dot mounted that I had laser bore-sighted at 30 feet in my living room. I used factory Glock 17 mags with no issues with Augila 9mm FMJ 115 grain ammo. In fact I traded in a Kel-Tec Sub2000 that I have owned for approx. 2 years. The reason was that I had become disenchanted with the Kel-Tec.

3 Likes

What caused you to become disenchanted with the Kel-Tec? Just curious.

2 Likes

Just lost the novelty of a fold up rifle. Wanted a sturdier firearm using the glock mags. The FX-9 uses a wider range of glock mags (26, 19, 17. Etc).

2 Likes

Thanks for answering.
The reason I asked is I am looking for one in addition to my Kel-Tec. I want a 9mm because of ammo availability and I am set up to churn out 9mm reloads fairly quickly. I would like S&W M&P magazine compatibility, so if MCarbo produces the new magazine catch the Ruger is an option. Downside to the Ruger is the weight and I would like a 8" to 10" barrel.

1 Like

The FX-9 also has the last round lock back feature for the bolt. Some of the other AR 9mm pistols did not have this feature. Price for the one I bought was $699.

1 Like

Hi guys, living in OC California, been looking for the best carbine I can get here, but most appear to be illegal here! :man_shrugging:t2: Came across Kel Tec sub 2000, and had great email communications with Josh, and am leaning towards getting one M-series sub 2000 with add ons. Is this really the best 9 mm carbine for Cali? I liked something like B&T TP9, but can’t have it here. And then there is still that annoying fin you need to have. :joy::man_facepalming:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @FarshidYazdi .

Is the Ruger PC9 legal there? I like my Sub2k but IMO the PC9 is much better quality and it’s much more comfortable to shoot - just look at all the conversations here about ameliorating recoil, softer butt pads, and getting a sight picture. How do the two compare in price? Heck, a Hi-Point carbine is chea… ahem… inexpensive and has its proponents and advantages too.

The Sub2k has compactness and concealment, the PC9 has quality. Are you looking for a truck gun, one you can throw under the truck seat without worrying about it getting scratched up? Do you want a range toy, self defense, a plinker, a camping gun, or one with ‘cool’ factor? Like any firearm, what you want to use it for and how much you want to spend are the questions to ask.

Just my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Sir. All great points. Appreciate it.
I think that’s available here too. I can tell it’s more sturdy and well made rifle. It’s just I was never a fan of full-size long rifles. Wanted a compact carbine for self and home defense. Like IWI Uzi pro. So, if we’re keeping the loaded mag separate, it’s ok in California to simply keep any of these rifles in the truck or under the seats?

1 Like

Everything I say below is just MY opinion. Other people probably think differently.

I don’t live in Cali and don’t know the laws there, but I assume it’s legal since it doesn’t have a pistol grip or “the thing that goes up”. The fact they require a tailfin on the sub2k is moronic, like it makes the firearm safer somehow or that a criminal won’t just remove it.

I like the sub2k well enough but it’s a range toy to me because it’s just not high quality - the fact it needs 3rd-party additions (the M-series - M for MCARBO upgrades) just to bring it up to “acceptable” is telling. They’d rather cut a few pennies instead of fixing the problems, then charging a little more. It shows their mindset.

The sub2k and my PMR30 are the only firearms I’ve ever had problems with. The sub2k was minor - the charging handle broke - but the PMR30 fired out of battery. Heck, the front sight fell off the first time I used it the day I bought it. Both guns were fixed but I’m not impressed by their track record.

Yes, the PC9 is heavier. You’re going to pay a similar price. I’d trust it over the sub2k in a personal defense situation, and it’s much more likely to last long enough to pass down to family.

1 Like

Thanks again. Agree. That’s what I’ve gathered and learned so far. Sub2000 doesn’t seem to be a quality product. I guess I keep looking then. I almost bought a sub2000 yesterday. Glad I got on this forum. :pray::pray: