M*CARBO Brotherhood

A nod to great teachers we've had and how they influenced us

All of us had teachers that deserve a note of recognition because they were a grade above average, went the extra mile, and had a lasting influence on us in some way.
Who were yours and why.

7 Likes

@chilipepper That’s funny. I hated those assignments too.
I had all those classes. American and British Literature, Creative Writing, Speech. At the time they just didn’t catch my creative string for some reason.
I’m good at poetry once in a while but as it turns out now, in later years, I’m a really good writer

I did enjoy British Lit. however. That no doubt has much to do with my teacher Mrs. Barry.
She was a teacher that was passionate about what she taught. And she was just as passionate about her students. It wasn’t that they only got answers right on a test to get good grades. (Americans are a bunch of test takers)
She took time one on one, to see that they did well and learned for the sake of being a more enlightened and worldly person.

6 Likes

Same here, well better than I was anyway.

It started for me at community college, I had a composition and technical writing instructor who opened my eyes to the importance of writing well, regardless of chosen profession. I didn’t really like her or the class at first but the truth is her tuition did improve my writing skills immensely and looking back I’m glad I had the course.

The impact of it didn’t really hit home till many years later when I transitioned to a desk job. Now I probably write better than I speak, though this may be down to the fact that I work remotely and have little face to face human contact as a result. Writing is the primary form of communication with my coworkers, employer as well as customers, so composition and clarity are paramount. She gave me the tools and direction to improve myself and I’ve been thankful for that many times since.

Rather unfortunately, I found out about a month ago from an alumni publication that she passed away earlier this year. Time flies.

You see, this is the thing. I’m not thick but I was never much for school, mostly because it always felt like the teachers didn’t care and were just going through the motions for a paycheck. They didn’t inspire you or even try to make things interesting or enforce the importance of having the knowledge. I had to get half decent grades to avoid retribution at home but I didn’t like it or want to be there. So I took all of the shop classes I could (which I do not regret to this day, I’m at home in a wood or metal shop, love fabricating stuff) and just rode out the storm till graduation. I was only going there in order to get out, it felt like a prison term. But college, that was different. Most of the instructors were passionate about what they were teaching and they wanted to get you into it as well by showing you how it applied and the difference this knowledge could make in your life. It was a much healthier learning environment but completely foreign to me at the time and it took awhile to adjust. Fortunately I did and believe I’m better for it in the long run…and the credit goes to those college instructors for “waking me up” all those years ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I had three teachers that truly influenced my learning. I did first grade in Natchitoches, LA. Ms. Adams split the disciplines into groups that rewarded improvement with advancement into more challenging activities. I was well behind her classes on arrival, but I advanced to the top groups in each discipline during the year. I was reading and doing Junior high school arithmetic by the time I finished first grade. We moved back to Maryland after that year and that school district didn’t present me with any learning I hadn’t already accomplished until Junior High School - yes I was a terror; I was bored to mischief. A mischievous kid with a thirst for learning finds trouble in unexpected places.

Ms. Koenig (7th grade Unified Math) and Mr. Belman (10th grade Geometry) also deserve shares of the blame.

9 Likes

My second.fourth and seventh grade teacher Mrs Dawson in Homer LA. She taught me to speed read which gave me a huge help in studying. She was able to get the most out of me. Another great teacher was my algebra and geometry teacher Mrs Watson. She saw my ability to grasp math. I used her teaching to become a master carpenter. I have thanked both of them for their mentoring me. I thanked the builder who trained me in carpentry and how to run a business.Don Kennedy of Bossier City. Plus my best friends dad Clyde Triplet who also mentored me in fine woodworking and believing in my ability to do anything if I wanted it bad enough. If you can go thank the people who shaped your life do it. They deserve it.

8 Likes

@NRA4ever I agree 100%. The people who took the time and effort to give you things that are valuable for a lifetime deserve thanks.

5 Likes

This is easy, Mr. Cope and Mr. Sanders. Both history teachers, Mr. Cope was my wrestling coach, Mr. Sanders my cross country coach. A close second place would be Ms. Burrows, my high school English teacher. She kept me focused on the prize, a diploma.

5 Likes

@Festus That says something about your English teacher. It wasn’t that she was just teaching a subject, she was teaching a student.:+1:

5 Likes

Better yet, she was investing in everyone’s future, one student at a time. :wink: Like many things in this world, our society is a sum of its parts…the happier, healthier and smarter we are as individuals benefits everyone in the long run. :slightly_smiling_face:

A bit utopian, I know, but there’s truth in there somewhere and I’ll continue to dream, just in case… :grinning:

4 Likes

That is dead right! That is exactly what she was doing.:ok_hand::+1:

A bit utopian is ok. The “Everyone hug and get along” “It’ll all be fine if we just love the world and ourselves” thing doesn’t fly high with me though. LOL
I’m a realist, but the idealism does sometimes give us a view of “better things” to achieve in the real world.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not going that far with it…and I’m not really much of a “hugger”, either. No “rose colored glasses here”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Having said that, there is evidence to suggest that when people feel better (both mentally and physically) and are informed as individuals, everyone tends to benefit (family, friends, neighbors, etc.).:+1:t3:

3 Likes