M*CARBO Brotherhood

80% Glock Gun assembly...Degree of difficulty?

So, I’m considering taking on the task of purchasing and assembling one of those 80% Glock (“Ghost”) guns. My question is this…
I just completed the “Ultimate KelTec Sub 2000 Build- All in One Installation”. Just wondering if anyone who has done both the KelTec All in One Install. and the 80% Glock install. can give me an idea of the degree of difficulty of each, comparatively speaking? I realize that I’m comparing “apples & oranges”, but I’m just trying to gauge whether or not it’s something that I should even attempt.

4 Likes

A friend did tell me that it could cost up to $1200 to build a nice Glock 19 w/ nice slide, Apex trigger, Romeo RDS, a light, etc. He suggested that I just buy a pre-ban Glock (I live in MA).
Would you agree with his assessment?

2 Likes

@JNAP The cheapest route would be to buy an all-in-one Poly 80 Kit instead of each piece separately such as this one sold by CH Kadels for $575 but good luck finding one.

6 Likes

Yeppers.

BATFE did just raid Polymer 80 in Nevada with the premise that these kits constitute illegal firearms. Be quick. They are attempting to exercise bumpstock powers 'gain.

8 Likes

Yeah. I saw that, and that’s part of the reason that I’m hesitant to go in that direction.

3 Likes

I’m in a similar place. Pretty sure I’m gonna build out both of my 80% lowers real quick like while my right is still clearly constitutionally guaranteed. Gonna turn some plastic into rifle lowers.

6 Likes

IMHO, it’s not that difficult, you’ll do just fine. Best get one while you still can, and make sure you get any tooling you need. 80% Glock kits

6 Likes

Cash transaction at a brick and mortar - maybe. I believe they raided to get customer transaction data before P80 Hillaried it out of existence.

FWIW, seems that they are targeting the “kits” rather than the hunks of 80% plastic frame only kits. I think they are relying on the definition of firearm language - specifically the “readily convertible to launch projectile” part of the language.

4 Likes

Good point. 87654321

4 Likes

First consideration is, how much money and time do you want to spend on it? The kit may cost about $150 to $175. But you must add a slide, barrel, front and rear sights, internal parts, decal type grips in some cases, diamond coated files, bench vise ( a big one), some kind of drill press, adjustable drill press vise, and sandpaper. This can add up to a price higher than a factory built Glock. If you want a “custom” pistol, it might be worth the the money and time. If just want a “plain shooter” pistol, calculate your costs of a factory pistol vs. the time and money spent on completing a kit. Another problem with a kit, is getting a laser engraved serial number BEFORE completing the kit. To avoid legal troubles with BATFE over “ghost gun” accusations. Lone Wolf Distributors has a serial number laser service for $20, but charges around $60 for UPS 2nd Day Air shipping (signature required) to and from Lone Wolf. Adding up to about $80 total. Can you afford to wait for this service? It just adds more time and money in completing a kit. If you have some machine shop skills and needed equipment, the completing a kit is not too hard. Final function fitting may take extra time. If time is short, consider paying a gunsmith experienced in completing kits to do the job for you. Or just buy a factory Glock, new or used. Got to figure out which is the best for your situation. Time vs. money problem. Given the panic buying of guns and ammunition going on, you will have to “shop around” a lot to find a factory Glock at a reasonable price. You may have to “wait in line” at gun stores or wait for online delivery to your gun store of choice. Sold out conditions at many gun stores. Biden gun control threats are not helping matters. Just feeding more panic buying. How do you want to spend your time? Waiting for a very hard to get factory Glock or waiting on completing a kit? The completion of a kit may turn into a “scavenger hunt” for all parts. The recent raid on Polymer 80 offices by BATFE raises legal questions about allegedly “complete” frame kits including slide, barrel, and internal parts being “real guns” subject to Federal background checks and having serial numbers before being sold. These “complete kits” may be restricted to gun store sales in the immediate future, or possibly banned. Another consideration. The case will get dragged out in courts. Do you want to “wait and see” how case turns out? Or get a kit or factory gun “while you still can” before Joe Biden is sworn in as President? And commences with more gun control threats? Got to figure out what is best for your situation.

4 Likes

Wow! That is certainly a thorough and comprehensive response! I thank you. Given the choices that you’ve laid out, you’ve helped me make up my mind. I live in MA, so buying a Glock is not an easy chore. However, the legal aspects, in addition to the physical (lack of equipment/ machinery/skills), make finding a way to purchase a Glock less daunting than building one. I’m not looking to build a “custom” Glock, but rather just a “plain shooter”. In MA, my choices are limited to a private sale or a pre-ban sale, but both of those seem easier than building a Glock.
Thanks, again.

3 Likes

I’m going to say this as only my meager skills, any Glock assembly is fairly easy for people just starting. I’m not a Glock cheerleader but I own a few and they are built to get the job done. They are also built to last and repair on the fly. If your build is using Glock parts, you will find several step by step youtube vids on how your doing. I suggest you put it together and dry test everything. I then (being OCD) take it apart and reassemble. It’s also fun for me.
Remember that so many people on line would be glad to help. So don’t be shy to watch and even contact them if needed. Find the exact project and you will find many DYI vids. This is going to be fun for you and smart you picked a Glock to do it with. Have ZERO idea of the KelTec. Not a fan or an owner of one. I’m not l saying KelTec is not a great product, I have friends that love them and they have extremely top shelf gun so they have to have something going good for them. Just not for me.
Good luck. Please let me know how it goes and if possible post pics of progress. Not sure what the rules are here yet, but if I cross a line, pleas hit me with a 2x4 to get my attention :joy:

5 Likes

I hate glocks personally. But wanted to pair my sub with a pistol so I went the p80 route. I thought it was very simple. I have under $600 in it. You also don’t need a bunch of tools. It’s not an aluminum lower. You could do it with some files, sandpaper and a drill If you had to.

5 Likes

I set a record, or at least tied the record for disassembly of a S2K

3 Likes

Be careful, all the shipments sent to customers the ATF has that info and has been knocking on some of their doors this week.

5 Likes

You must not be a man of true freedom

2 Likes

Heck, true freedom in 2020 USA?

Seems I can’t entertain the topic and respect forum rules, so …

4 Likes

No one alive had that since the second after they popped out of the womb. Born free, downhill from there.

5 Likes

Freedom is one hell of a concept but slipping further into the grasp of the sociopath libtardians.
We will soon see if Patriots still have grit

3 Likes

No problem. Just have to “look before you leap”…

2 Likes