M*CARBO Brotherhood

6.5 Grendal Upper: What’s The Optimal Barrel Length?

Looking at building or buying. What barrel length is the best?

1 Like

@Monty If you want max performance from the 6.5 Grendal you need a long tube, 20-24in. If you want a handy dandy carbine,16in. Either one outperforms the 5.56 at any distance.

2 Likes

Your speakin my language Don. I want performance!!

3 Likes

Leaning towards a 20” with light weight hand guard. Pure hunting rifle.

2 Likes

There isn’t a huge difference in velocity from 20-24" so to save a little weight i went with the 20" barrel

4 Likes

Oh i like that setup. How far away can you knock Barbie off the of that doll house?

1 Like

Recommended parts or manufacturer?

1 Like

Furthest ive been able to shoot it from is 200 yards. I put 2" group with it. Conditions were not optimum that day. I know i can do a little better. A new range opened up about 2 hours from me that’ll let me shoot out to 750 yards. Just gotta make some time to get out there

2 Likes

What brand barrel/upper?

1 Like

Its a ballistics advantage barrel and im using an Aero upper. Odin adjustable gas block and tube.

2 Likes

Good deal. Thanks for the info. Hows is it to shoot? Info i have read states its was intended to be a 800 yd cartridge. Id never shoot an animal at that range but I do have an extensive array of steel.

One more question, what kind of trigger setup you using?

I dont see anyone commenting here on the MCARBO Hammer spring.

1 Like

Its great to shoot. To me its right there with 223 as far as recoil goes. In all my Ar platforms i use the Alg Act trigger. I like the feel of it and it maintains a 5# break, so i know its still reliable with steel cased ammo. Cost is nice too. Catch a sale and can get it for $50. Its not a fancy 2 stage trigger or anything like that, more of a polished up mil spec with less creep and take up with crisp break. For me, its what i like and thats just my personal preference

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. Im more convinced than ever i need one of these.

1 Like

I went both ways, one with a 20" HBAR and one with a 16" Fluted barrel
the 16" is a piston drive upper
the 20" has a adj gas block and is chambered for the .264 LBC
both home built
this is my sight in target for the 16" with Russian steel case ammo at 100 yds
first 2 high, second one low. then for record
Grendel%20Russian%20ammo
P1030913
P1040008

4 Likes

You seem convinced if you got two rifles in the same round. :+1:t3:

Monty Montgomery

but I also have 4 AR in 5.56
hears a USMC M 27 clone in 5.56, HBAR, piston drive, HK stock and official USMC rear sight
each has it’s own purpose
P1030902
M27-4 P1030810 P1030908 P1030941

2 Likes

So USMC has its own spec for a rear sight?

I dont know if i ever knew that, i cant remember what I’ve forgot. Ha

Monty Montgomery

1 Like

Yes, the USMC contracted to Knights Armament for the M27 sight
their M4s use a different sight

1 Like

Nice set up, but the whole kids spooky castle next to your reloading stuff makes me wonder…lol

1 Like

4ea212f1eac8227dba75658080a0c0c57cc68a62_1_666x500 That maybe the playset is not his kids? :thinking: At least it’s close for Don to get to when it’s playtime. :rofl:

1 Like