45 ACP EDC. Options?

I’ll try to get with them before I leave Ohio. Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

If I were to buy a new pistol cartridge, it would most definitely be 10mm. I shoot 9&45. But, the 10 is great for a great many things. I also have an AR pistol in 450B. The 10mm would be bridging the gap between 45 and 450. If I were ever to move from the 450 in a pistol, I would probably invest in a long barrel 10. I really appreciate the Springfield pistols. So, if you look at the ballistics and capacity, the 10 is hard to beat.

7 Likes

ive got the Springfield XDE 45acp which has a 3.1" barrel with a 7rd magazine and 6rd magazine. but then i have a Colt 1911 Defender Lightweight which has a 7rd magazine

the Springfield is a DA/SA action and manual safety and also a decocker

8 Likes

They are also running a special on AR’s. $400 for a Palmetto State Armory while supplies last

8 Likes

Hey Gary. Can you give a quick honest pros/con review of the XDE in 45? I have a friend that has that on his short list. Thanks!

6 Likes

the pro for me is the size,the recoil isn’t bad,some upgrades are available, i like the decocker is nice like on my Sigs, can carry it like a 1911 cocked and locked, decock it with the safety off like my Sig P220 and the first shot would be DA then SA after that.its easy to rack.
Con. DA is very heavy, Langdon Tactical had a kit for it but they stopped making it would be nice to have a better trigger but ive gotten use to it.

but since I got mine I’ve added trijicon night sights and Hogue grips

7 Likes

I had very good luck with my Taurus PT145 24 /7. Da/Sa, 10+1, fed and fired anything I fed it. Small enough to easily carry, with enough capacity to get things done.

6 Likes

It’s been discontinued. The XDE format has been discontinued.

10 Likes

I had time at work today to swing by Fin Feather Fur.
They had a XD-M Compact Elite in both 45 and 10mm.
Of course, I can’t buy them here, but I got to hold them.
They felt pretty good in my hand, other than my pinky.
I’m confident that the XD-M would fit my needs well.

I may have overlooked it, but I didn’t see a Glock 30SF.
And I didn’t even look for a P320 Compact or BBR 3.10.

8 Likes

Decision made. I put a XD-M Elite 3.8" 45ACP on layaway at Bud’s.
If I like it as much as I think I will, I’ll be adding one in 10mm later.

I was interested in the Glocks, but they didn’t match up in features.
I hope I get to try one out someday. But I think I made the right choice.

8 Likes

Think you’ll like it. Understand that one has a better trigger than my XD-M Compact 3.8. Mine isn’t bad, but the elite trigger is supposed to be an upgrade to what I have. Once you get it, let us know what you think.

8 Likes

That’s what I was seeing on all the reviews.
I’ll post as soon as I get it and test it out.

7 Likes

Haven’t shot it yet. Maybe I can get to a range this weekend.

11 Likes

I have a XDs in 45. Love the size and shoots so smoothly. Looks like you have the double stacked doppelgänger.

4 Likes

Think you’ll like it. I like mine and it’s the same gun, just not optics ready like yours.

I had to remove the magwell. I didn’t like it. Now it feels good in the hand.

4 Likes

Mine doesn’t have the magwell but the extended mags do have a slide on grip extension. Came with different size extensions to match the size backstrap you use.

7 Likes

Tritium sites are a “must have” also on a EDC firearm.

6 Likes

Since the '80s, a Colt Officer’s in .45 ACP - with a little practice, recoil is fine. It’s a nice hunk of steel in the hand. A Roy’s Pancake thumbreak (all leather) that stands up “tall” on my belt, so no part of the holster or muzzle sticks below the belt. It’s OWB, and needs a stiffer belt so it doesn’t “twist” outward (that hunk of steel thing). I still carry Federal HydraShoks - my cop friend at the range back them had run them through a battery of tests - plus they go where I point them. I put a telescoping guide rod on it for a little more recoil dampening. Ambi safety, extended slide release, and I blacked out the dots on the rear sight.It’s only 6+1, but it will take any 1911 mag (I tried one of those 32 rounders once for fun).

9 Likes

Just got my order from SA in today. DeSantis holster, double mag pouch, 13-round mag.
Only thing left to get is a decent RDS. I’ve seen too many poor reviews on the Hex Wasp.

8 Likes