M*CARBO Brotherhood

.40 S&W PCC FTF Issues

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting phenomena with my .40 caliber Ruger PCC. From the day I took it out of the box, it has not run well for me. Numerous FTF issues and stovepipes, with various ammunition. I finally switched to my own hand loaded ammo to cut down on the cost while I am trying to fix the problems. These same hand loads run fine in my SR40 pistol.

I stumbled on MCARBO’s site and have now replaced every internal component that they offer except one, hoping to fix the issues. I have installed the aluminum trigger, trigger spring kit, SS trigger pin group, SS recoil spring retainer, exact edge extractor, extra power recoil spring, A2 tool steel bolt pins and extractor pin. I just ordered the shock buffer and will install it as soon as it arrives.

None of the problems seemed to go away, but I came across a thread on Ruger Firearms forum where someone had bent the ejector to keep the rounds from touching it and claimed it fixed all of his problems. Being the experimental type of guy I am, I went ahead and tried to replicate what he did.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. After bending the ejector, the rifle runs fine, no stovepipes and no FTF’s EXCEPT the very last round in the magazine. Consistently. I tried different magazines, same result. ALWAYS the last round would fail to feed.

On a hunch, the last time I went to the range, I tried slowing down my rate of fire. Now, I was not pulling the trigger as fast as I could before, but I was not really pausing at all between shots. Interestingly, when I started pausing before the next to last shot, the last round will feed into the chamber. Am I just outrunning the rifle? I’ve seen guys on YouTube running their PCC’s MUCH faster than I was.

I would be curious to know your thoughts or if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

You might want to take a look at these threads:

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. Bending the ejector like the threads to which you referred me is exactly what I mentioned that I did. It is difficult to get it exactly like the “other guy” when using a bench vise and crude methods, but as I said, it seemed to work except the last round.

I should mention that I am using Ruger mags and the Ruger magwell is the one in which I bent the ejector. My local FFL had loaned me a Glock mag which I tried for experimental purposes, but with the same results as the Ruger magwell before bending the ejector. Stovepipes and jams throughout. I haven’t tried bending the ejector in the Glock magwell and have since returned the Glock mag to my FFL.

I really hope MCARBO produces an ejector with the correct bend. Bad design from Ruger, IMO which is surprising to me because I have never had any kind of functioning issues with any of their firearms. I am a huge Ruger fan and I hope they can fix this.

Just thinking here:
last round, weakest mag spring tension, Round not quite getting fully into feed position?
is the ejector a bit TOO low holding it down, try loading up a mag with a few rounds, then manually cycle them though and then on last round Lock open bolt and look, be safe… live rounds and all…

Replace extra Power spring with stock to see as well.

Last round failure to hold open or feed is usually a weak mag spring. Had a similar malfunction happen on a relatively new Glock mag.
Compared it to another and the follower was not up as high when empty. Tried stretching the spring but that did not help.

Is it just one mag or all?

:eye: put a Wolff extra power mag spring in and all is well since.

https://www.gunsprings.com/

1 Like

Hi, and thank you for your response,
I did try putting the stock recoil spring back in prior to my last trip at the range, same issue. I am certain it is not an issue with the MCARBO spring.

However, I think I may have fixed the problem. Right in line with your hunch, one of my coworkers suggested that I was not inserting the magazine hard enough. I was hesitant to give it a good hit because of bending the ejector beyond my intentional bend. He suggested I insert the magazine with the bolt closed when the ejector is protected and firmly seating it. This made sense to me, so the last time I went to the range, I did just that. Closed the bolt, inserted the magazine, gave it a good hit. I ran several magazines through without a single failure to feed. I feel like I just wasn’t seating it firmly enough. I sure do appreciate your feedback, though. Seems like you hit on exactly the same solution.

Thanks, brother!

3 Likes

Hi,
See my reply to Wyo. It was happening with several different mags. Think I fixed it, but I will certainly check out the Wolff spring as well. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated, brother!

2 Likes