M*CARBO Brotherhood

2K Front Sight Post

I have been asking if there would ever be a replacement ring for the front post if you have a Red Dot like I have and I been told that it is research.
With that and with the spring in the front sight breaking I decided to remove the front post.
Well let me tell you - that ain’t happening. That sucker is on with something. I used a propane torch to heat it up to remove it and that don’t work. So I did the only thing I could think of. Dremel to the Rescue.
The post is aluminum and I cut it off but left a ring. Then sanded it round and coated it.
It is because it does not come off is probably why MCarbo has not made a replacement yet.
If you have any other suggestions let us know!
Oh - I had a friend shoot my 2K and he will be ordering one from M
Carbo for his Christmas Present. Don’t tell his wife - she don’t know (YET).

6 Likes

your losing me . which ring are you referring to, the front sight assembly?

5 Likes

When you cut the front post off from the base there is the round part of the post that is screwed on the barrel. That part is what I call the ring.

4 Likes

piece 525?

4 Likes

@jabacon52 Did you remove the set screw, part # 530, from the sight base?

5 Likes

There is No set screw. Only Backup nut (503) and Sight (525). Backup nut comes off but Sight did not!

5 Likes

Looking at the Parts Schematic it looks like it is a Tapered Fit and Sweated on. I removed the Backup/Retaining Nut and Heated the Sight up but it did not move. No Set screw or other mechanical means of holding it in place!

5 Likes

It is not. Most likely some friendly PO decided on high temp loctite. It should screw off by hand as soon as lock nut or set screw (design changed over time) is released.

6 Likes

my GEN 1 was supposed to be a heat and break sight, I had to cut it off to replace it with the RED LION FIXED sight unit, but the GEN 2 rolled off like it was supposed to. there have been some changes in the various years of GEN2 to the front sight, let me ask a stupid question, 9mm or 40 cal?

6 Likes

My front sight was not straight after factory recall and so far hasn’t find a way to get the ring loosen up to adjust it… so if anyone can make a video on how to remove or adjust front sight post that will be something to be thankful today :smiley:

4 Likes

@Don68 You beat me to it’ Works on mine, as far as to the post adjustment loosen the screw and shift the post left or right to center to start you adjustment.
As you have said Sir in early post’s show us a picture’ as per the Trouble Area.

5 Likes

Unless that set screw is under the sight post (requiring removal of post to access the grub screw), doesn’t look like mine has it, either.

4 Likes

Hopes this Helps

5 Likes

I definitely don’t have that grub screw then, in fact, my front sight finishes flush with the upper vertical face of the sight where the elevation adjustment screw is located.

4 Likes

@dexterhsu I would remove the handguards, place the barrel in a large padded vise, apply some heat to the sight, then a large wrench with maybe a cheater bar to remove it. Something would have to give as it is threaded on and not press fit. Righty tighty- lefty loosey. Good luck Dexter.

6 Likes

@DivaMarie grub screw in the same spot on my gen 2 Tony some of em must be just threaded and heavy on the loctite…

5 Likes

I’m thinking I’d rather have that grub screw, not that I have the choice now. I’m guessing the only way to time the sight properly (if misaligned from factory or removing for other reasons) is with the jamb nut given the config I have (and possibly what the OP has).

6 Likes

Doesn’t keltec have an “accessory” for those of us that want to remove the post the “easy” way?

Edit* - yup: https://www.keltecweapons.com/product/s2k-803-thread-protector-long/

4 Likes

I sent mine in for the recall and it came back with a screwed up front sight system. Pissed me off so much that I shoved the thing in the back of the safe and haven’t even considered bringing it out for any reason since.

6 Likes

For all those who have the S2K Gen 2. I talked to Kel-Tec and found out that the Front Sight Post is threaded and uses Green Loctite. They said it can be removed using heat to break the Green Loctite seal and it should just unthread off without any force. The backup nut should be removed first and may have a little loctite. I plan on taking the rest of my front post off and replace it with the s2k-803 thread protector. So those who have the Front Sight Post that is off then you can use the heat and just realign it correctly.

6 Likes