M*CARBO Brotherhood

22 Short in Cricket Youth 22 LR?

Ok, here’s the deal. @wreknball03 has a Cricket youth single shot, bolt action 22lr. Barrel is marked 22lr.
Although it will load, lock bolt, fire and eject a short, I maintain that it is not designed for shorts because of chamber length. The short will have a space between the casing and barrel, thus leaving the bullet improperly chambered.
Elsewhere on the net the info is all over the place, and nothing but opinion. (go figure)

What say you?

7 Likes

if you shoot shorts or longs … scrub the chamber after.

6 Likes

I have an old bolt action single shot .22 that’s stamped for shorts or longs. My guess is that it will be fine in the cricket but not optimal I’m sure.

4 Likes

@jeffing65 Keystone website says it can use short, long, or long rifle. www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/crickett-rifles. Have one. Good starter gun for youngsters.

6 Likes

@Don68 Couldn’t get link to work.
If you look at the specs for the youth model rifle it only says 22lr.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/crickett-youth-22-lr-single-shot-bolt-action-rifle

If you look at the specs for any of their other models, it lists short, lr, and long.
https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/crickett-rifles/

I find that odd, but it is only 120.00, compared to the cost of all the others. Maybe its just a farmed out import manufacturer with a different, cheaper action/barrel design or something.??

4 Likes

@jeffing65 Sorry about the bad link. All the Cricket and Chipmunk rifles are produced in PA. They make many different models. Mine has the walnut stock, purchased in '02 for $160 retail.

5 Likes

@Don68 No problem on link.
If you look at yours for instance (the walnut stock model) on their site, the caliber specs will say short, LR, and long.
Is yours stamped with all three variants?
In my view/interpretation, I believe it should and does, where the youth model @wreknball03 has doesn’t, because it’s not approved/designed to. (not that it can’t be loaded and fired)

3 Likes

You’ll be fine, just make sure you clean the chamber before you switch back to longs or LRs

4 Likes

.22 Rimfire headspace on the rim. It is unique in that the projectiles are narrower at the base. The case and projectiles have the same outside diameter. The base of the projectile has a reduced diameter that is fit inside the case mouth.

I believe the reason that some 22 lrs don’t shoot longs and shorts is rooted in the cartridge feed system design. My observation tells me that some tube mags can handle the variable length and the rare box mag can handle it as well.

But … the cricket youth is a single shot. I’m at a loss to explain why it doesn’t list long and short compatibility. My honest guess is that the price point needs the savings from not engraving /L/S after LR. I’ve never touched one and I’ve never seen a 22short snap cap. If I had one I’d stroll through one of my local Academys to test load a 22short. I can’t imagine a single shot that feeds 22LR will hang up feeding longs or shorts, but I can’t eliminate that explanation either.

At any rate, long rifle rounds have been cheaper than longs and shorts for a lil piece of time now, so …

4 Likes

@jeffing65 Had to dust the cob webs off but it says 22 cal LR.

4 Likes

@Dred I 100% agree that feed design is the main root of it for sure. And the longs and shorts falling out of favor also. I wouldn’t worry about shooting shorts in it if it were me. It couldn’t possibly blow it up or anything. The only issue I could really see is if it could damage the rifling where it enters the barrel, from being back the distance that it is shorter than the LR when chambered
Good thought about stamping cost . The fact that the stamp is LR on the one @Don68 has would suggest they just don’t fully stamp all 3 on them.
I also wonder if the youth model is only listed LR in specs to avoid any liability concerns with kids being the primary user. If they weren’t given any options, then any mis-loading, incorrect ammo, or other potential improper operation possibilities are taken out of the equation and eliminated all together…

4 Likes

I contacted Keystone Sporting Arms regarding the question at hand, so we could have a definitive answer, and the reasons for any difference.
(I’ve got to know! Now that I opened my yap :open_mouth: and asked the question. LOL)
They are closed through Jan 3rd for inventory, so I don’t expect to hear from them until after then.

5 Likes

@jeffing65

Got to wait​:v::v::v:

3 Likes

Chris19 is correct. I had a similar single shot bolt action rifle 60 years go and it ate whatever 22 cartridge I could afford. Wish I still had it.

7 Likes

I got one stamped savage arms, stevens model 73 . 22 bolt action single shot. marked short long or long rifle setting here looking at it.

5 Likes

@Larry Welcome to the Brotherhood

5 Likes

Here is the reply I just received from Steve at Keystone Sporting Arms.

"The Crickett rifles are capable of firing shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges.The reason the barrels are only marked .22LR is because back in the day we had a dot pien system and it took forever to mark the barrels, The newer ones are marked .22 S. L , or LR.

The shorts will fire in the rifles just as the other shells will but if there is alot of shorts fired through it it will need a good cleaning before going back to the long rifle shells as the dirt and powder gather in the forward part of the chamber and the empties tend to stick in the chamber.

CB caps however are the only shell i would not recommend using as sometimes they do not have the power to make it all the way out of the barrel."

Post Edit: A well deserved :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to some of the dead solid answers.

:smile: :smile: :+1: :+1: :+1:

10 Likes