2020 SPACE Update: Canada-US To The MOON

2021 Space update: :rocket::beers:

6 Likes

You have to reach the LEL… wonder what’s that for farts.

5 Likes

Because US didn’t know how to make one? Or it was contracting crumbs being dropped from the table?

3 Likes

Wonder if they can channel the lower explosive limit to get back home? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think the “I” stands for international if I’m not mistaken. That, and it most likely wasn’t “in the budget” for NASA to build its own.
Doesn’t really matter anyway as without Canada, we would loose some prime real estate for early warning systems and space tracking.

2 Likes

Hey I’m back online and finally got around to commenting on this post.
IMHO, and sharing some facts I recently searched, there is a lot ramping up.

Mission launch in 2023 and Canada is planning to launch a moon rover by 2026.

A lot of focus on mars right now. Here is the fact list for Canada and the moon going forward… In the event anyone wanted to know! :roll_eyes:

Quick facts

• Launched in 2019, Canada’s space strategy established space as a strategic national asset. It set out to position Canada’s space sector to seize the opportunities of the future, and thrive in Canada and abroad.
  • The Lunar Exploration Accelerator Program is providing $150 million over five years to help firms develop and demonstrate space technologies that will create new commercial opportunities in Canada linked to our participation in the Lunar Gateway mission.
  • The global space market is expected to triple over the next 20 years to $1.1 trillion. Today, Canada has about a 1.3 percent share of this global market.
  • Every year, Canada’s space sector contributes 21,000 jobs (direct and indirect) and $2.5 billion to Canada’s economy. 94% of companies in Canada’s space sector are SMEs.
  • Canada’s participation in space science and exploration has benefitted Canadians on Earth, from the development of new medical technologies to the strengthening of our tech industry and our economy.
  • With the application of the Industrial and Technological Benefits Policy, Canadarm3 is estimated to contribute up to $135 million annually to Canada’s GDP and create and maintain some 1,300 high-quality jobs for Canadians over an estimated 6-year build period.
  • A Canadian will be part of the Artemis II mission, the first crewed mission to the Moon since 1972.
6 Likes

Longest Lunar eclipse coming Thursday night….:full_moon_with_face::sunglasses:

6 Likes

@MountainHunter
Thanks, marking my calendar.

It’s been a crazy year so far, the change from El Niño to La Niña (think I got that right) weather anomalies, astronomical anomalies, the sun solar activities. Still more to come.

2 Likes

Gonna set my alarm for 2 am and bring the winter sleeping bag out on the front deck.
Should be clear skies & ~31*F here…after a little sprinkle :grin::full_moon_with_face:

4 Likes

@MountainHunter
Not sure I will go that far, you most likely do not have less city lights that kind of ruin the view somewhat.
I most likely can just wait up till 2 and venture out and have a look.
By that time the moon might be to low on the horizon to see with trees and buildings, but we’ll see.

2 Likes

I’ll be at work. I’ll have to wander outside a few times

4 Likes

youre a star

3 Likes

This is un-nerving to hear just recently Russia launched a rocket from the earth and blew up one of it’s own satellites, no countries were warned in advance and debris causes the ISS to take aversive measures to avoid debris. Guessing we will need to add a catchers mitt to the Canadian Arm. Just throwing it out there… no pun intended.

7 Likes

Extended Sabre rattling. It’s a new world…I mean “Multiverse” :rocket::popcorn:

6 Likes

Bezos got caught testing the rest of his fleet…

4 Likes

More space stuff to share.

I get these updates daily on earth issues, this one is interesting, I mentioned it before here and here we go again.

Our sun has sent more solar flares our way.

I believe it to be true enough, while on the traverse out of the forest on the 21st my GPS was acting very unusual. First I thought it stopped working as it wouldn’t refresh properly. The I realized although it was still actively picking up satellites we actually walked 200m on a zig-zag due to something interrupting the signal flow. It is confirmed that it cold have been minor satellite interruption coincidental with the solar activity when it was expected to hit earth.

Just thought to mention a first hand observation. Not sure if others noticed anything unusual on Saturday 21st?
Cheers,

3 Likes

Saturday was on the 20th here, :astonished:

3 Likes

Lol yes here also, got the date mixed up.

Thanks,

3 Likes

Whew! Thought for a minute the solar flare really messed things up. :rofl:

5 Likes

We are entering a more active solar period. They usually cycle every 7-10 years with major cycles every 22-25 years. HF radio operators are looking forward to this increase. During increased solar activity, HF operators have much better chances of reaching other operators around the globe.

4 Likes