M*CARBO Brotherhood

2020 SPACE Update: Canada-US To The MOON

A Canadian astronaut will take part in a lunar mission for the first time in the country’s history as part of the NASA-led Artemis project, the government announced Wednesday.

The mission, Artemis II, will send a crewed test flight sent into lunar orbit in 2023. However, it does not involve an actual landing on the Moon, according to the US space agency.

Canada will join the US on the first crewed mission to the Moon since the Apollo mission,” minister for innovation, science and industry Navdeep Bains, told a news conference.

“This will make Canada only the second country after the US to have an astronaut in deep space,” he said.

Bains did not identify the Canadian astronaut chosen for the mission, the first to the Moon since 1972. The announcement came at US Vice President Mike Pence last week unveiled an 18-strong group of people who could go to the moon as part of the programme.

Canada is one of eight countries – including Australia, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States – who have signed a treaty to participate in NASA’s Artemis programme, which aims to return humans to Earth’s nearest neighbour by 2024.

NASA hopes to build Gateway by 2026. It would serve as a landing point for missions to the Moon.

Artemis III is set to send astronauts, including the first woman, to the Moon in 2024.

The last astronauts to actually tread on the moon were the crew of Apollo 17 in December 1972.

14 Likes

Im hoping after 50 years, they at least make it interesting !
Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

But will he still have a gun to take with him? :laughing:

4 Likes

They probably will make big news of it.
Setting the ground work for future space travel and political alliances.

Why would they need a gun, to open a can of beans if they forgot the can opener?

5 Likes

Haven’t you heard of the Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

6 Likes

@phuzzy42 And with Amazon Prime you can get next day shipping for free.

Note: Not Available in Canada

9 Likes

SOP, I’m screwed again!

6 Likes

Classic, I forgot about that one. :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

11 Likes

@JoeFridaySays
lol, I bet most folks wouldn’t notice that you somewhat seamlessly fitted the SUB2K in there.
Nice touch. :wink:

7 Likes

Canadian US moon venture. WTF…why?

2 Likes

Maybe ask D.T he signed off on it.
Check it out online.
Could be alternate motives at work.
Anyway, I doubt that it will come for fruition now that J.B. is at the helm.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll see what he has to say and get back to you. :mask::cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

LOL, I thought it was a fantastic long overdue initiative, that’s why I posted it.
Canada was first up, several other countries were to follow.
Here is what caught my attention:
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, announced that the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) and NASA have signed the Gateway Treaty, a historic agreement that confirms Canada’s participation in the next major international collaboration in space exploration, the planned Lunar Gateway space station.
Under the Treaty, a Canadian will be part of the Artemis II mission, the first crewed mission to the Moon since 1972. This mission, planned to launch in 2023, positions Canada to make history as the second country to have an astronaut travel to deep space and fly around the Moon. The Treaty also confirms a second flight for a Canadian astronaut to the Lunar Gateway.

Today’s announcement also affirms Canada as a key partner of the U.S. in space exploration, bringing Canadian and American technology and science to the Moon.

6 Likes

Ok TT D.T. and he said the Canadian-Chinese space camp ( ages 8-14) was a program the Russians started it and the details are in the Steele dossier.

1 Like

Back on Mars…

2 Likes

Did you know?: On Earth, farts are typically no big deal — smelly, harmless, and they quickly dissipate. But if you 're an astronaut, every fart is a ticking time bomb. The gases in farts are flammable, which can quickly become a problem in a tiny pressurized capsule in the middle of space where your fart gases have no where to go. :scream::joy::skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

I can just see the morale/mission patch for this venture…
ROCKY1
ROCKY3

7 Likes

I was born in 1951. I lived through it all, Sputnik, Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Space Truck (Shuttle), and the wonderful happenings of today. Way back, the only notice we got was the 6PM news (A 5 second blip).
Remote cameras back then were huge and required a tripod and generator to operate them. (And were film)
In the 1960’s, one network even cut a Space launch for a golf tournament. (They even cut a NASCAR race in the final lap for golf.) Apollo 13 changed all of that as there were overlapping networks broadcasting it live for almost 4 days! We gleaned newspapers and magazines for information and it has taken me all of these years to assemble the pieces.
Yes, anything in space today will be interesting unless done by NASA…They could make the Super Bowl sound like it was a sewing circle.
My money will always be on Spacex. But Blue, ULA, Rocket labs and a host of others are not far behind.

6 Likes

But your crew will soon put you into your suit and let you reap the reward…

4 Likes