M*CARBO Brotherhood

1903 Springfield vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Hi all! I hope you don’t mind me posting a link here to my latest video. You were all so welcoming when I posted the last one here, that I thought I would see what you think of this one. This is my first video of the new year, and it’s one of my favorites. In this one, I’m pitting my trusty '03 Springfield rifle agains the current Ohio Peace Officer’s patrol rifle qualification course to see if I can pull off a qualifying score. The course, and its time limits, were devised with a semi-automatic tactical carbine in mind. To see how the old war horse fares, click on the link below.

Happy New Year!
Howard

https://youtu.be/eoV6ZF11-5w

6 Likes

@hrfunk Enjoyed the video. Nice shooting with the '03.

2 Likes

Thank you Don, I’m glad you liked it!

HRF

2 Likes

@hrfunk Oh my you got me right “in the feels” with the '03! (That and I like your cover and ODs.)

That said newer is better!

Pull an off shelf 20" Savage and it will shoot sub MOA groups with a slicker action and a more stable stock/ bedding substrate.

We really do live in a “golden age” of firearms!

Good video👍

4 Likes

Fer sure!! I have a soft spot for the '03, M1 and some winchester lever guns. That being said… I’ll take the auto-load, drum fed, optic dressed belch fires I now own. :hugs:

Good video, keep’em coming!! :+1:

3 Likes

@hrfunk

It was very interesting to ‘see’ how one could push the limits of a 116 yo firearm and competively ‘rifle’ through a New Age Performance. Congratulations on your victorious video!

3 Likes

Great video! You had me at “03!”

Hope all the tacticool boys see that one!

4 Likes

2nd gun I ever fired was a A3/03 Love em. (first was a dbl barrel 12 ga LC ,with what i found out later had a “touchy” trigger set, grampa’s sense of humor of a pole bean 8 yr old) . unk taught me about fire control and ammo conservation before he let me shoot a simi-auto.

2 Likes

Thanks Johnksg! I have no doubt a modern bolt-rifle would perform better than my old '03, but one of the things I like doing in these videos is pitting historic firearms against modern performance standards (i.e. qualification courses). I find it somewhat fascinating to push the performance limits of these old warriors (while simultaneously pushing my own limits to drive them!). My problem is, the historic rifles keep qualifying! I’m not sure what to try next. Maybe my Hawken?

Howard

1 Like

@hrfunk Oh I do love the old weapons!:grin:

I have always been a fan of the M1 carbine as well as the K98 and its many variants. I would NOT presume that a person armed with one had chosen poorly.

I would love to see a review/comparison of the Swiss K31 rifle!:+1:

3 Likes

I would love to do it if I could get ahold of one. If I succeed, you’ll see it!

Howard

2 Likes

@hrfunk I always admired that rifle from afar. They are pretty popular in Europe I believe but fairly scarce in the states.

Supposedly one of the “fastest bolt guns” ever built!:grin:

2 Likes

If yer doing older military guns, like to see it with a 1873 trapdoor springfield… 45/70 cal, first breech loading rifle adopted by the US army :+1::+1::+1:

As much as I’d love to say otherwise, I don’t think I could come up with a way to meet the time limits with the 1873!

Howard

1 Like

Know this is off topic slightly, but have a Swiss rifle given to me by a dear friend who has recently passed away. Straight bolt, Swiss markings, at some point stock was cut down. Looks very much like the K31 but the box mag is much further forward of trigger guard. Stumped in my research to determine exactly what the old beast is. Any suggestions for research??

1 Like

@russ does it look like this?

1 Like

Nope. mag release is too close to trigger guard. standby will up load photo.

Waiting on email to send photo from phone… sorry!

Recevier group is the same, Trigger is more aggressively curved and mag is way forward on mine.

1 Like

@Johnksg: John here (finally) are photos:

1 Like

Okay, sorry to get everyone off topic. A SWAG search turned up that the rifle is a Swiss model 1889.

3 Likes

@russ looks like a Swiss to me albeit an stamped vs milled top cover and a “sporterized” stock.

1 Like