10 Round Magazines

Here in the Communist State of New York we are limited to 10 round mag capacity. Since I got my BPM AR-15 I’ve been buying Magpul 10 GEN3 mags which are the short mags. Recently I discovered that Magpul (10/30) and a few other brands sell standard 30 round mags with limiters permanently installed to accept only 10 rounds.
Other than the idea that they make my State Compliant AR look somewhat like a “normal” AR is there any reason to use these 10/30 mags over the regular 10 round ones?
Appreciate all comments.

2 Likes

@FDNYDispatcher in my opinion there’s nothing different except cosmetic look. The only thing would be the price to compare between the two. I don’t know your states laws but i drilled a rivet hole and installed rivets to limit my 308 10 round mags to 5 rounds for deer hunting down where I’m at. And when s#!t goes sideways I can drill out the rivets and up capacity

4 Likes

I agree it’s the look and these are a few dollars more. The limiter is riveted in. I suppose I could drill it out but it means a Felony rap in NY.

2 Likes

With state laws like that it’s no wonder they want you to not have standard capacity magazines. It’s for (their) public safety.

3 Likes

I bought a pistol that came with a 10 round magazine, I didn’t notice that’s the version I bought. Because I am not In Commifornia I just drilled it out and did some sanding and it runs perfectly.

But my opinion on your question, I would think it would be a hassle the have one that “looked” like a 30 round magazine but only held 10. I’m assuming you may draw more attention to you by law enforcement and nosy onlookers. I would just run the 10 round mag that was made as a 10 round mag if I were you. :wink:

6 Likes

100% agree. It gives them (whoever “they” are) a reason to look up your ass with a microscope. The down side of publicly ‘appearing’ that you are not in compliance exceeds the benefit.

4 Likes

Yeah I thought of that. I picked one up and I’ll probably only pull it out at the club range to freak out my buddies!

3 Likes